MBBS (NUS), MRCS(Edinburgh), FRCS(Edinburgh), M.Med(Surgery)
Specialty: General Surgery
Conditions Treated by this Doctor:
Bile Duct Cancer, Gallstones, Gallstones & Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy, Hernia, Liver Cancer, Liver Metastasis, Obstructive Jaundice, Pancreas Cancer, Pancreatitis, Stones in the Bile Duct.
Dr Tan Siong San graduated from the National University of Singapore (NUS) School of Medicine in 1999. He did his training in General Surgery and Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Surgery in Changi General Hospital (CGH) and Singapore General Hospital (SGH), obtaining MRCS and FRCS from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 2003 and 2008 respectively. He did his fellowship in Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery and Liver Transplant at Chang Gung Memorial Hospital in Linkou, Taiwan. He is currently the Director of HPB service in Changi General Hospital. Dr Tan specializes in open and laparoscopic surgery of liver, gallbladder, bile duct and pancreas for both benign and malignant conditions.
Apart from clinical work, Dr Tan is also involved in teaching. He is a Clinical Core Faculty Member in the Singhealth Residency Program for General Surgery, as well as a Clinical Teacher, Senior Lecturer and Examiner for Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine (NUS). He is also a Clinical Teacher for Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine. In recognition of his strong dedication towards teaching, he has been awarded the Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence by the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine.
• A Pilot Study on the safety and efficacy of a novel trocar-insufflator system (Airseal IFS) for laparoscopic hepatectomy
• Full robotic combined multi-visceral, multi-quadrant resection with the da Vinci Xi
• Site investigator for Trial AHCC03 (Post-resection radio-iodine 131 for HCC)
• Site investigator for Trial AHCC07 (Mergesterol for treatment of HCC)
• Site investigator for BIOSP2 trial (BioSilicon for treatment of unresectable HCC)
• Co-investigator: A Prospective Study of Adjuctive Intraductal Ultrasonography during Therapeutic Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiogrpahy in the Management of Common Bile Duct Stones
• Co-investigator: A Prospective, Open, Single-arm, Multicenter Phase II Clinical Trial to Evaluate the Tumor Response and Safety in Patients with Advanced Primary Hepatocellular Carcinoma Treated with the Auron Misheil Therapy (AMT)
• Poster presentation “Successful Endoscopic Banding of a Bleeding Duodenal Varix” at Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh Quincentenary Congress, Edinburgh, Scotland.
• CGH Research Forum “Early Results of Radiofrequency Ablation of Unresectable HCCs”
• Poster presentation “Early Results of RFA for Unresectable HCC in CGH” at Combined SHS-NHG Scientific Meeting, Singapore.
• Poster presentation “Acinar Cell Carcinoma of Pancreas” at APHPBA congress in Melbourne, Australia
• Poster presentation “A Ten Year Review of the Different Management Strategies for Recurrent Pyogenic Cholangitis” at IHPBA 10th World Congress in Paris, France
• “Audit on Gastric Carcinoma Resection: A Local Experience on D1 vs D2 Gastrectomy”
4th Asia-Pacific Gastroesophageal Cancer Congress and Singapore Gastric Cancer
Consortium 5th Annual Scientific Meeting, NUH, Singapore
• Poster presentation “Hepatic resection in the elderly: Outcomes from a regional Asian hospital” 10th World Congress of the International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association
• Poster presentation “Our local experience in aggressive management of gallbladder carcinoma”
10th World Congress of the International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association
• Poster presentation “Quality of life and concerns of HCC patients” Annual Meeting for ANZHPBA 2013, Sydney, Australia
• Poster presentation “Eosinophilic Cholangitis: The diagnosis dilemma of a recurrent biliary stricture”. Annual Meeting for ANZHPBA 2013, Sydney, Australia
• Poster presentation “A rare case of Monolobar Caroli’s disease with large stone cast”
• “Robot-assisted resection of Segment 4 Hepatocellular Carcinoma”
The 8th CRSA Worldwide Congress, Hotel Inter-Burgo Exco, Daegu, Korea
• Management of Adult Choledochal Cyst. Singapore Med J 2007;48 (6): 524-527
• Pancreatic fistula after distal pancreatectomy: incidence, risk factors and management. ANZ J Surg. 2010;80(9):619-23
• Clinical Study - Recurrent Pyogenic Cholangitis: Disease Characteristics and Patterns of Recurrence. Ye Xin Koh, Adrian Kah Heng Chiow, Aik Yong Chok, Lip Seng Lee, Siong San Tan and Salleh Ibrahim
ISRN Surgery, vol. 2013, Article ID 536081, 9 pages, 2013. doi:10.1155/2013/536081.
• CASE REPORT: Eosinophilic cholangiopathy: the diagnostic dilemma of a recurrent biliary stricture. Should surgery be offered for all?
Isaac Seow-En, Adrian Kah Heng Chiow, Siong San Tan, Wee Teng Poh
BMJ Case Rep 2014. doi:10.1136/bcr-2013-202225
• Direct endoscopic necrosectomy: a minimally invasive endoscopic technique for the treatment of infected walled-off pancreatic necrosis and infected pseudocysts with solid debris
Tiing Leong Ang, Andrew Boon Eu Kwek, Siong San Tan, Salleh Ibrahim, Kwong Ming Fock, Eng Kiong Teo
Singapore Med J 2013; 54(4) 206-211
• CASE REPORT – Open Access: “Isolated tuberculosis of the pancreas mimicking a pancreatic tumor with concomitant choledocholithiasis”
Ramesh Wijaya, Chee Hoe Koo, Adrian Kah Heng Chiow, Siong San Tan, Su-Ming Tan
Int J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis 2014; 4:26-31
• Learning curve in laparoscopic liver surgery: a fellow’s perspective
Adrian Kah Heng Chiow, Ser Yee Lee, Chung Yip Chan, Siong San Tan. Hepatobiliary Surg Nutr 2015. doi: 10.3978/j.issn.2304-3881.2015.06.07
• CASE REPORT “Metachronous cholangiocarcinoma 13 years post resection of choledochal cyst – is long-term follow-up useful?: a case study and review of the literature”
Deanna Wan Jie Ng, Adrian Kah Heng Chiow, Wee Teng Poh and Siong San Tan
Surgical Case Reports (2016) 2:60
• “A Review of the Techniques, current Status and Learning Curves of Laparoscopic Bile Duct Exploration”
Poh Benjamin Ruimin, Tan Siong San, Lee Lip Seng, Chiow Adrian Kah Heng
Journal of Digestive Cancer Reports 5(1):37-43, 2017
• Robotic distal pancreatectomy—current status and learning curves. Chiow AK, Sim SK, Lee LS, Tan SS. Ann Laparosc Endosc Surg 2017;2:172.
• Surgical management decreases disease recurrence risk in recurrent
pyogenic cholangitis. H.L Tan, Y.X Koh, W.K Lye, S.Y Lee, B.K.P Goh, S.S Tan, A.K.H Chiow, C.Y Chan. ANZ J Surg. 2017 Dec 11. doi: 10.1111/ans.14319.
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the updates to your email inbox...