Acclaimed watercolourist Mr Ong Kim Seng has produced a collection of paintings to capture the memories and history of the Singapore General Hospital campus before it undergoes extensive re-development over the next few years. In fact, some of these iconic buildings in Mr Ong's paintings had already been demolished, but the images were reconstructed with the help of careful research, photographic archives and oral history.
We are pleased to share that the following three paintings are available for sale to interested buyers. Proceeds of the paintings will benefit SKH's patients in need.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a private viewing and discussion.
It wasn't very large. It certainly wasn't luxurious: One former medical student describes it as just a shack with a thatched roof. But for the generations of medical, dentistry and pharmaceutical undergraduates, Ah Leng's Canteen was the hangout place until it was closed in the early 1980s to make way for the construction of the Ayer Raya Expressway. The name was synonymous with Mr Wong Niap Leng, who took over the canteen from his father who had started in the 1920s. The younger Mr Wong, who ran the canteen with his wife and daughter, not only fed hungry students, he also extended financial help to those who were short of cash.
The fluidity and unpredictability of watercolours reflect the landscape of SGH Campus, which has seen many changes since the Singapore General Hospital first moved from various places to its present site, known then as the Sepoy Lines, in 1882. SGH - with its distinctive Clock Tower - really came into being in 1926 with the opening of the Bowyer, Norris and Stanley Blocks. The march towards the SGH Campus that is known today occurred in the 80s and 90s, when an eight block complex housing clinics and wards were added, and specialist services became
It is a little-known, unimposing building on the grounds of the Singapore General Hospital. But its unassuming exterior belies the important role it holds in the history of Western medical education in Singapore. Before the establishment of the country's first medical school in 1905, Western-trained doctors came mostly from Britain and India. But as local enrolment increased, the school underwent an expansion. The Tan Teck Guan Building, built in 1911 with a donation of 15,000 Straits dollars from rubber tycoon, Tan Chay Yan, housed a lecture room, a pathological museum and dissection room,
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the updates to your email inbox...